Friday, March 19, 2010

Art after Dark

The third Thursday of each month the Dixon Gallery & Gardens hosts "Art after Dark". A great opportunity to enjoy the arts after work while socializing with live music, hors d' oeuvres & drinks. The Dixon is featuring "Monet to Matisse", a tribute to impressionism until April 4th, 2010.

Grant and I made it there about 6 p.m. and had the added perk of 2 for 1 admission. You can't beat 7 bucks for a night out on the town! I will have to admit that I am not a huge fan of impressionist art; I'm more of a post impressionist kind-of-gal, but there is a beauty in the strokes and textures found throughout that style. Having never been to the Dixon, I was impressed by the history of the Dixon and how it became the gallery it is today. The history is posted on different panels located throughout the gallery, and it puts the their personal art collection in a different light when you know a little more about its interesting history. I encourage you to take the time and learn a little more about the lives of Mr. & Mrs Hugo Dixon

Also, The Dixon is featuring metal art by local artists. I personally love the cake server set; It is very Art Deco.
After a night of taking in the arts, the perfect thing to end it--is of course--Muddy's cupcakes! I broke from the usual and had a Flopsy (carrot cake + cream cheese icing) and an Oreo cupcake. Both were quite delicious--yum :)

Grant and I are looking forward to the upcoming 20,000 tulips in 2010--what a great way to kick off spring!


Dixon Gallery & Gardens

4339 Park Ave

Memphis, TN

No comments:

Post a Comment